Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

Shrewsbury donors shore up WWI monument

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Het Britse Leger en de Commonwealth eenheden Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Yvonne
Admin

BerichtGeplaatst: 04 Dec 2010 20:27    Onderwerp: Shrewsbury donors shore up WWI monument Reageer met quote

Shrewsbury donors shore up WWI monument

With the World War I Monument cracked and in disrepair, the Donahue family and an anonymous local business gave a large boost yesterday to the Shrewsbury Veterans Council for the replacement of the monument.

The Donahues, who were not in attendance Tuesday, and the anonymous local business each donated $10,000 to the World War I Memorial Fund to replace the decaying monument, which stands outside of Beal School and was built in 1926. The $20,000 donation brings the fund’s total to $35,000. It is expected the new memorial will cost about $150,000, said World War I Memorial Committee member John Masiello.

“They are wonderful people,” Masiello said of the Donahue family and the local business during Tuesday morning’s donation ceremony at the World War I Monument.

Superintendent Joseph Sawyer said students at Beal School are currently involved in a penny collection program to raise money for the memorial fund and students at the middle and high school are spreading the word about the need to improve the visual appeal of the monument.

“It’s wonderful to see the donations to the monument,” said Sawyer. “The School Department is very pleased to be in support of these improvements. This is terrific.”

In addition to the donations from the Donahue family and the anonymous local business, the library held an amnesty period on overdue fines in November with the overdue funds going to the World War I Memorial Fund.

“We felt this was an appropriate way to benefit the town and the town’s veterans,” Library Director Ellen Dolan said recently.

A handful of Shrewsbury residents and veterans recently organized the fund to replace the decaying monument, which they say is in deplorable condition, with private donations.

Currently, the flagpole that sits atop the monument is rusting and rotted and the base of the monument, which features the names of Shrewsbury’s World War I veterans, is cracked. One of the names on the base of the monument is unreadable because of a large crack.

“The flagpole is in tough shape,” said Masiello.

When built, the new monument will be made out of granite, which will last longer, and the amount of space between the trees and Beal School will be increased. The soldiers’ names currently carved into the monument will be carved into the new memorial, which the committee hopes will be completed by next Veterans Day. The committee expects construction will take about two months.

Several veterans on hand at Tuesday’s ceremony said they were thankful for the generous donations and said they are looking forward to the construction of a new monument to honor the veterans of World War I.

“It’s a community project,” said Commander of the Ray Stone Post Walter Josti. “It’s about having the town take pride in a monument.”

“It’s much needed,” said Jim Dunleavy. “This is a good boost.”

Copyright 2010 Shrewsbury Chronicle. Some rights reserved
http://www.wickedlocal.com/shrewsbury/highlight/x1996678966/Shrewsbury-donors-shore-up-WWI-monument

https://twitter.com/ForumWO1
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail Bekijk de homepage
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 27 Apr 2011 8:16    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Shrewsbury veterans launch Web site for WWI monument.
Jeff Malachowski, Shrewsbury Chronicle, Apr 26, 2011

SHREWSBURY — In an effort to receive donations and provide information on the World War I Monument project, the Shrewsbury Veterans Council has launched a new Web site.

The Web site, www.shreww1.org, offers residents the opportunity to learn about the local Veterans Council’s mission to replace the aging monument, and allows community members to donate to the World War I Monument fund.

With the help of a handful of fundraisers, including a St. Patrick’s Day party and a wine, chocolate and beer tasting fundraiser at Austin Liquors, as well as an anonymous $10,000 donation from a local business, a $10,000 donation from the Donahue family and other donations, World War I Building Committee member Walter Josti said the group is about one-third of the way to the $150,000 goal to build the new monument.

The Shrewsbury Veterans Council’s World War I Monument Web site also features an artists rendering of what the monument will look like when completed, a list of donors and information on World War I and Shrewsbury’s World War I Monument.

“This is more of an experiment on our part,” said Josti. “We’re hoping people will be looking.”

Built 80-years ago and named in honor of Maj. Howard Beal, a Shrewsbury resident who practiced medicine in Worcester and was killed in action on the Western Front in 1918, the World War I Monument has deteriorated and is beyond repair.

Several veterans, including Josti, have said the monument is in deplorable condition and needs to be replaced to fully honor the town’s veterans of World War I.

Before being removed a couple of months ago, the flagpole that sat atop the monument was rusted and rotted. The base of the monument, which features the names of Shrewsbury’s World War I veterans, is cracked and one of the names on the base of the monument is unreadable because of a large crack.

When built, the new monument will be made out of granite, which will last longer. The soldiers’ names will be carved into the new memorial, which Josti said is still on track to be completed by next Veterans Day.

The site will feature the new memorial, as well as a memorial park at the existing location in front of Beal School on Maple Avenue.

For more information on the project or to donate, visit www.shreww1.org.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/shrewsbury/news/x128436556/Shrewsbury-veterans-launch-Web-site-for-WWI-monument#axzz1KhnKi63Z

"Omdat ik alles beter weet is het mijn plicht om betweters te minachten."
Marcel Wauters, Vlaams schrijver en kunstenaar 1921-2005
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Het Britse Leger en de Commonwealth eenheden Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: