Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog
Hét WO1-forum voor Nederland en Vlaanderen

FAQFAQ   ZoekenZoeken   GebruikerslijstGebruikerslijst   WikiWiki   RegistreerRegistreer 
 ProfielProfiel   Log in om je privé berichten te bekijkenLog in om je privé berichten te bekijken   InloggenInloggen   Actieve TopicsActieve Topics 

9 september

Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Actieve Topics
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
Mario

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2006 11:15    Onderwerp: 9 september Reageer met quote

Die Kämpfe im Westen
Die Beute von Reims
Die Lage in Paris
Der Zustand Belgiens
Besetzung der Walfischbai durch die Deutschen

Siegreicher Angriff in den Argonnen
Zeppelinangriff auf die Londoner Docks
Die Festung Dubno genommen

Deutsch-türkischer Erfolg im Dnjestr-Gebiet
Beschießung von Mangalia durch ein Unterseeboot
Kämpfe mit der rumänische Karpathenarmee
Der bulgarische Siegeszug in der Dobrudscha

Der große französische Angriff vor Verdun gescheitert
Fliegerangriff auf Lahr

Feindlicher Angriff zwischen Ailette und Aisne abgewiesen
Vergebliche englische Angriffe an der Straße Péronne-Cambrai
Türkische Erfolge gegen die Rebellen

http://www.stahlgewitter.com
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht Verstuur mail
Mario

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2006 11:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Es geschah am September 9....

01-09-1915
U 41 in Dienst gestellt.

01-09-1918
Peronne von australischen Truppen eingenommen.

http://www.westfront.de/today/today.pl
Naar boven
Mario

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2006 11:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Claims op 9 september.

1 1915 Oswald BoelckeGermany #3
2 1916 Ernest FootEngland #1 #2
3 1916 René DormeFrance #9
4 1916 René DormeFrance u/c
5 1916 Oswald BoelckeGermany #22
6 1916 Mikhail SafonovRussia #1
7 1917 Joseph FallCanada #17
8 1917 Emerson SmithCanada #2 #3
9 1917 George TrappCanada #4
10 1917 Richard HillEngland #2
11 1917 John MilneEngland #8
12 1917 Arthur Rhys DavidsEngland #18
13 1917 Harold StackardEngland #7
14 1917 Edward WilliamsEngland #1
15 1917 Edward WilliamsEngland #1
16 1917 Friedrich AltemeierGermany #6
17 1917 Paul BäumerGermany #4
18 1917 Ernst HessGermany #12
19 1917 Fritz KosmahlGermany #7
20 1917 Erich LöwenhardtGermany #4
21 1917 Julius SchmidtGermany #14
22 1917 Rudolf WendelmuthGermany #7
23 1917 Lovell BakerIreland #2
24 1917 Keith ParkNew Zealand #14
25 1918 Roy McConnellCanada #7
26 1918 Ludwig LuerGermany #2

http://www.theaerodrome.com/today/today.cgi
Naar boven
Hauptmann

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2006 13:00    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

1914: U.S. Secretary of State Lansing demands recall of Austro-Hungarian ambassador

On September 9, 1914, in a letter written to the government of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, United States Secretary of State Robert Lansing demands the recall of Constantin Dumba, the Austro-Hungarian ambassador in Washington, D.C.

At the time, barely one month after the outbreak of World War I, the United States was neutral in the great struggle between the Allied and Central Powers, the latter of which included Austria-Hungary. Dumba, who had served as his country’s ambassador to the U.S. since May 1913, had earlier fallen out of favor with his colleagues in Washington on account of his government’s policy of offering "rehabilitation" to former Austro-Hungarian citizens living abroad who had previously fled their mandatory military service, provided they agreed to serve with the army for the duration of the war upon their return to Austria-Hungary. Despite Dumba’s diplomatic efforts, Vienna’s policy was seen by many as a violation of the U.S. policy of neutrality, which strictly forbade any U.S. citizen (no matter how long they had resided in the country) from actively taking sides in the war.

The so-called "Dumba Affair" was much more serious, and resulted in the ambassador’s dismissal by the government of President Woodrow Wilson in the fall of 1915. Lansing’s letter charged Dumba with espionage, stating that the ambassador had proposed to his government "plans to instigate strikes in American manufacturing plants engaged in the production of munitions of war." According to the secretary of state, Dumba admitted to having written a letter containing such a proposal and sending it to his own government via an American citizen, James Archibald, who was intercepted in England; the letter was handed over to the U.S. government. As a result of this treachery, Lansing stated, "Mr. Dumba is no longer acceptable to the Government of the United States as the Ambassador of his Imperial Majesty at Washington."

Upon Dumba’s return to Vienna, he was made a member of the nobility. Though the Austro-Hungarian government claimed it was honoring the former ambassador for his service in Washington under times of extreme duress, the British press went wild, claiming that Austria-Hungary was clearly rewarding him for his espionage efforts.

www.history.com
Naar boven
Bekijk gebruikers profiel Stuur privé bericht
Finnbar

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2011 5:57    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

SEPTEMBER 9, 1914

The Belgian Front.
==The Belgians’ second sortie from Antwerp, to Sep.13 - the Kaiser orders German forces to take Antwerp

The First Battle of the Marne - The Far Northwestern, BEF and Northwestern Fronts.
==British cavalry begins to cross the Marne [530.AM] - most of the BEF is well over the river in force [800.AM] - French 5th Army shifts right to aid Foch’s hard-pressed 9th Army, loosing the opportunity to strengthen the BEF’s advance [morning] - without consulting OHL, Bülow announces that 2nd Army is retreating [morning]; his troops begin to withdraw by midday: the German right wing begins to fall back; THE GERMANS EFFECTIVELY LOOSE THE BATTLE OF THE MARNE AND LOOSE HOPE OF A QUICK VICTORY - Kluck orders 1st Army’s hard-pressed center and left to pull back till they’re facing south [morning] - OHL envoy Hentsch arrives at 1st Army headquarters [late morning]; 1st Army’s retreat is initiated - 1st Army’s retreat causes the counter-attack against the weakened French 6th Army near Paris to be broken off [200.PM] - the BEF and French 5th Army have come to a standstill [mid-afternoon], loosing their chance to break the German line

The First Battle of the Marne - The Central Front.
==Foch’s battered 9th Army is thrown back at Mondement and Mont Août [morning] - after learning that 2nd Army is retiring, Hausen reluctantly orders 3rd Army’s right wing to begin to retreat [~midday] - desperate French counterattacks at Mondement and Mont Août are repelled [afternoon] - the Germans abandon Mondement [evening] and begin to retreat from Foch’s 9th Army
==French 4th and 3rd Armies are again subjected to desperate German attacks

Alsace.
==The French occupy three villages west of Mulhouse

The First Battle of the Marne - German Headquarters (OHL).
==Moltke futilely orders that attacks by the German center and left continue, even as the German right is starting to fall back [night]
==The despairing Moltke writes his wife: “Things are going badly, the battles east of Paris will not be decided in our favor… The war which began with such good hopes will in the end go against us… We shall be crushed in the fight against East and West… Our campaign is a cruel disillusion. And we shall have to pay for all the destruction which we have done.” [night]

===> http://cnparm.home.texas.net/Wars/Marne/Marne05.htm
Naar boven
Finnbar

BerichtGeplaatst: 06 Sep 2012 20:51    Onderwerp: The 1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment, 9 September 1914 Reageer met quote

The Battle of the Marne, 7th-10th September 1914

9th September 1914

Neither on the 9th nor on the 10th September were the 1st and 4th Battalions Middlesex Regiment engaged with the enemy. On the former date at 7 a.m. the 1st Battalion was relieved in its holding positions by the Cameronians, and retired half a mile S. to a covered position, where all ranks rested until 7 p.m. Here 89 men, some who had been "missing" after the Battle of Le Cateau and others discharged from hospital, rejoined. A move was then made to Les Corbiers, where the Battalion bivouacked, the remainder of the 19th Brigade (less the Cameronians) going on to Jouarre.

http://freespace.virgin.net/howard.anderson/marne1914.htm
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 9:03    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The First World War Letters Of H.J.C. Peirs

(9 – 9 – 18)
9. 8. 17. (18?)
(rec’ 16 Sep 1918)

My dear Father,

Very many thanks for your letter & trouble. I enclose my cheque for the £1, and shall be very glad when the stuff arrives, as at the moment I am smoking the ration issue which appears to be made mostly of Virginia creeper with a flavoring of canariensis.

We are out of the line at the moment, doing a little training & cleaning up, but the weather is against us, as the last 2 or 3 days have been wet. I hope the autumn rains have not set in, as it will have a tremendous effect on the offensive. Their communications must be very difficult as it is. I think tanks must have been largely responsible for its success, as I know the casualties have been very light for most of the time & I do not believe the heavy losses. I think after last summer they have learnt the wisdom of not pressing on against overwhelming opposition, and nowadays try somewhere else.

They appear to be moving in the South from one of our defensive lines, which we made last winter on to the next & I fancy progress will be slow, as they are all among the thousands of miles of wire, which we put out in that area & never used, & I don’t suppose the Bosch has had time to reel it all up.

In any case it looks as though he is not going to make much of a stand this side of the Hindenburg line, though I suppose he is bound to resist there, if he had any self-respect left.

Love to Mother

Yours
Jack.

I wonder if you would send me out a dry Battery Ever-ready No 126. I have increased my cheque accordingly & as the girls have flown, will you keep the change, as I may ask you again later on for other odds & ends

http://jackpeirs.org/letters/9-september-1918/

“I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, l hope you have the strength to start all over again.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 9:06    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

BOURLEZ, Valère Joseph

(...) Op 17 april 1918 ligt het dorp Merkem constant onder vuur. Vanaf die dag breken zware gevechten om het wijde bos van Houthulst plaats, gelegen op een heuvelkam welke de Belgen koste wat het kost op de Duitsers willen veroveren. In deze regio breekt een paar maanden later, op datum van 28 september, het bevrijdingsoffensief in al haar hevigheid uit.

Valère Bourlez, Onderluitenant bij het 22e Linieregiment, sneuvelt op 9 september 1918 te Merkem, een deelgemeente van Houthulst, aan de gevolgen van een inslaande obus.

De onderkuitenant wordt begraven op de Belgische militaire begraafplaats van Westvleteren, onder het graf gemarkeerd met het nummer 1425. Na de oorlog wordt Valère herbegraven op het oud kerkhof van Ronse. (...)

https://ronse1418.jouwweb.nl/1918-bourlez-valere

“I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you are not, l hope you have the strength to start all over again.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 9:09    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Standbeeld voor Armand Van Eecke

Het standbeeld voor Armand Van Eecke staat langs de Iepersteenweg, op circa 1300 meter ten noordoosten van het dorpscentrum van Merkem.

Historische beschrijving - Armand Victor Van Eecke kwam uit een gezin van 10 kinderen. Zijn ouders, Arthur en Reinhilde, behoorden tot een voorname familie uit de burgerij. In 1914 was Armand student aan de universiteit van Leuven. Hij meldde zich in 1915, op 19-jarige leeftijd, als oorlogsvrijwilliger. Op 8 januari 1916 arriveerde hij aan het front met de 5de compagnie van het 3de Linieregiment met de graad van adjudant. Als pelotonoverste vormde hij tussen officieren en soldaten een gewaardeerde schakel. Naar verluidt wist hij de soldaten op te monteren door zijn luisterend oor, inspirerende woorden, steun en door steeds het goede voorbeeld te geven.

Bij een aanval in de vroege ochtend van 9 september 1918 leidde hij de eerste groep die de prikkeldraadversperringen moest doorsnijden. Hij sneuvelde terwijl hij de bres openmaakte voor de achter hem komende mannen. Op zijn begrafenis in zijn geboortedorp Watou op 12 september 1918 bracht zijn bevelhebber een ontroerende hulde van makkers en officieren. Van Eecke werd onderscheiden met de eretekens van Ridder in de Orde van Leopold II, het Belgische en Franse militaire oorlogskruis en eervolle vermeldingen op het front.

Vrij kort na de Eerste Wereldoorlog heeft de familie Van Eecke de grond aangekocht waarop Armand gesneuveld is, met het doel er een standbeeld op te richten ter nagedachtenis van hun zoon. Het beeld werd gemaakt in opdracht van én volledig betaald door de familie. Het werd door beeldhouwer G. Pickery gemaakt naar een portret van de overledene en op zijn suggestie werd deze voorgesteld als een soldaat, die nadenkt over de zin en betekenis van de oorlog. Tekst en gedicht werden door de familie zelf uitgezocht. De onthulling van het gedenkteken gebeurde in alle stilte in 1919. Jarenlang deed de familie zelf het onderhoud, maar op 3 november 1982 werd het gedenkteken overgedragen aan de gemeente Houthulst.

Oorspronkelijk was het gedenkteken omgeven door paaltjes met ijzeren kettingen. Op de sokkel waren de teksten aangebracht tegen een donkere achtergrond.

Gustaaf Pickery realiseerde na de Eerste Wereldoorlog behalve dit gedenkteken in Merkem nog oorlogsgedenktekens in Assebroek, Sint-Kruis, Brugge, Lovendegem, Watou, Beausaint en Maldegem.

Beschrijving - In een perk van kiezelsteen omgeven door een haag (beuk), staat op een sokkel, rechthoekig van vorm, dubbel geprofileerd en naar boven toe versmallend, het beeld van een denkende soldaat in rusthouding, de armen gekruist, leunend tegen een rots. Op de grond ligt een gevallen vaandel. De soldaat draagt talrijke eretekens. Hij kijkt naar beneden. Zijn gelaat drukt een grote rust en lichte droefheid uit.

Op de sokkel: op de voorkant staat een kruis, 'Aan onzen/ zoo duurbaren zoon/ en broeder/ Armand Victor/ Van Eecke/ student aan de hoogeschool te Leuven/ adjudant in de 5de Kompagnie van het 3de linieregiment/ geboren te Watou/ hier roemvol gesneuveld gedurende den aanval van/ 9 september 1918 oud 22 jaar'; op de linkerkant 'vereerd met het Belgisch oorlogskruis/ Fransch oorlogskruis met zilverster/ militaire eereteeken met palm/ order van Leopold II met palm/ vyf eervolle meldingen'; op de achterkant 'Naar 'd hoogten was zyn ziel gestegen/ om 't lyden dat zyn jeugd haar bood/ en langs bebloede veld en wegen/ ging Hij naar 't wonderland der dood./ Een Heldendood is ook een zegen...!'; op de rechterkant 'Een licht verdween uit ons gezin/ een stemme ons dierbaar zweeg/ een plaats werd in den huiskring leeg/ niets vult haar ooit weer in'.

https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/erfgoedobjecten/79577

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:45    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Fragment of a letter from Anne Morgan, 9 September 1917?

Fragment of a letter from Anne Morgan to her mother, Frances Tracy Morgan

Blérancourt, [9 September 1917?]
. . . arranged that these machines should be followed by rollers, harrows, and then by seeders, so that next year it will mean just so much more food for those that need it so sorely; indeed it is a real satisfaction to know that already we have been able to accomplish just that much.

Besides this week we have begun to install our first houses, we have started our first classes, and we are feeling that at last the time has come when we can show real progress. How I wish I could give you a real picture of our life here, but it all sounds cold and dry when one puts it down in black and white. It is only when one is listening to all the stories at first hand that one realizes the tragedy of it all and how much they need our help just at this time.

We are waiting with joy to know when Mrs. Schelling is coming over, for if she is willing to come out into this country and not be in Paris it will be too wonderful for words. As things are in Paris at the Alcazar and with the eternal R.C. [Red Cross] situation it would not be at all interesting for her to be in our work at that end for there is nothing but pure office to do.

Today we have had a very unusual kind of a Sunday with almost no visits except our architect who has just come back from Vichy, and was thrilled to find out how far ahead the work has gone. Our head workman is a joy to us all and is a perfect type. Of course he is réformé and has been twice decorated, he is so thrilled with what we are trying to do both here and with the Smith [College Relief] Unit at Grécourt that he is going to stop on with us after our own houses are arranged, so that he can help in the mending of what can be restored without too much expenditure, and with helping to put up the movable houses with the Agent Voyer, as they call him. This man is an employee of the Préfet, and is another trump, with such a wonderful spirit. . . .

https://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/online/annemorgan/letter/date/991917

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:47    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Belgian 'Minerva' armoured cars and their crews seen at Houthem, 9th September 1917

Foto... https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205079910
Ook hier: https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/503840277058203414/?lp=true

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:49    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Zwemmend redden is sinds 1917 een serieuze sport

(...) De echte primeur van een wedstrijd in zwemmend redden vond plaats op 9 september 1917, tijdens een nationaal zwemfeest ter ere van het 25-jarige bestaan van de Amsterdamse zwemvereniging Het Y. De deelnemers moesten over een afstand van 240 meter zwemmen, waarvan 40 meter met drenkeling. Meer dan 3000 toeschouwers propten zich op de tribunes en alle andere beschikbare ruimtes, waaronder hoogwaardigheidsbekleders als de commandant van de Marinewerf en de havenmeester. ‘Zelfs op het dak van het restaurant en op de daken van de kleedkamertjes zaten of stonden toeschouwers,’ aldus De Telegraaf. ‘De clou van den dag, het nummer reddingszwemmen, werd een succes.’ C. Zegger van De Jonge Kampioen eindigde als de snelste man en L. v.d. Ven van de Amsterdamsche Dameszwemclub bleek de snelste vrouw.

Volgens De Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant bleek het reddingszwemmen een waardevol nieuw zwemonderdeel: ‘Dit reddingszwemmen, belooft een waardig plaatsvervanger te worden van het nummer hinderniszwemmen, dat in de laatste jaren bij de ernstige sportlui door onoordeelkundige samenstelling een beetje in diskrediet is geraakt. De eischen voor dit soort van zwemmen zijn zeer zwaar en zij vorderen alles van de snelheid, de handigheid, de kracht en ook vooral van de intelligentie van den zwemmer.’ (...)

https://sportgeschiedenis.nl/de-vraag-van-de-dag/zwemmend-redden-is-sinds-1917-een-serieuze-sport/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:51    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Etaples Riot of September 1917

As the Canadian Expeditionary Force moved towards Passchendaele in October, a clear victory was becoming increasingly paramount. In mid-September 1917, riots had broken out in the reinforcement depots along the French coast, signalling a growing discontent in the ranks of the Commonwealth forces. These of course followed the massive French mutinies that had taken place over the summer of 1917.

At Etaples, the largest infantry reinforcement depot abroad, raw recruits, recovering wounded, and grizzled veterans were thrust together through training meant to prepare them for a return to the front (Dallas, Gill, The Unknown Army, p. 64). The training grounds, coined the “Bull Ring”, were simply considered hell (Dallas, Gill, The Unknown Army, p. 64-66). In fact, men were known to report back to the front still nursing wounds, just so that they could get away from the “Bull Ring” (Dallas, Gill, The Unknown Army, p. 65).

On 9 September 1917, tensions in the Etaples camp overflowed. Pushed to their limits by heavy-handed discipline, horrific training regimens, and poor food, an altercation between troops and the “Red Caps” (Military Police) was the spark that lit the fire. When shots were fired by the Red Caps, the camp exploded and the bridges and picquets leading into Etaples were rushed by crowds in their hundreds.

Victor Wheeler, a signaller in the 50th (Calgary) Battalion, was in Etaples recovering from wounds when he was placed on riot patrol. He described the scene:

“I drew a rifle and ammunition and at 7:00 P.M., with several other front line men, I was rushed into Etaples… Wearing special white Military Force Police brassards, we patrolled the streets, in close groups, until midnight. Like a sudden flood, hundreds of soldiers broke into the town and joined in the melee. The rioters made an awful mess of the place… a Red Cap was shot and three draftees were wounded: a draftee was shot dead when he attacked several Red Caps… The explosive atmosphere was immediately sensed when one began to patrol. Keeping one’s eyes open for infringements and ears turned to any strange noises – and restraining oneself from the savage reaction of the front toward the enemy against a fellow Canuck – left me feeling as if I had been stretched on the rack.”
(Wheeler, The 50th Battalion In No Man’s Land, p. 151).

Episodes of rioting and outbreaks from camp would continue throughout the week at Etaples. The September 1917 Etaples Riots would not be the last of their kind. “Events”, (as they were classified by the military authorities), would continue to take place in the later stages of the war, and especially after the Armistice during the drawn-out periods of demobilization. Canadians especially would be involved in a number of high-profile cases that threatened to tarnish the reputation of the CEF.

https://www.vimyfoundation.ca/the-etaples-riot-of-september-1917/
Ook hier: http://www.remembrancetrails-northernfrance.com/history/armies/mutinies.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 09 Sep 2019 12:02, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:54    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Handelsblad, 9 september 1917:

“Nu de wereldoorlog bij ons in het stadium is gekomen van broodkaarten en kolennood, hebben de oorlogsfilms veel van hun actualiteit verloren. De dagen, dat in het Theater Pathé een enthousiast publiek keek naar de zegevierende Fransche troepen van Verdun en luisterde naar de tonen van den prachtigen marsch “Sambre et Meuse”, zijn al lang geleden. Als thans het Hollandsche publiek over den oorlog praat, praat het meestal over den vrede, die nog altijd niet komen wil.“

https://old.onsamsterdam.nl/tijdschrift/jaargang-2007/25-tijdschrift/tijdschrift-jaargang-2007/327-nummer-9-september-2007?showall=&start=3

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:55    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

9 September 1917 – praise for Fr Doyle from Dr Buchanan:

For fifteen months Fr Doyle and I worked together out here, generally sharing the same dug-outs and billets, we we became fast friends. I acting as medical officer to his First Battalion. Often I envied him his coolness and courage in the face of danger; for this alone his men would have loved him, but he had other sterling qualities, which we all recognised only too well. Her was beloved and respected, not only by those of his own faith, but equally by Protestants, to which denomination I belong…For his broad-mindedness we loved him. He seldom, if ever, preached, but he set us a shining example of a Christian life.

https://fatherdoyle.com/2017/09/09/9-september-1917-praise-for-fr-doyle-from-dr-buchanan/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:57    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Winters, Jacobus, Luitenant 10e linieregiment, 18-5-1890 - 18-4-1918

Zondag 9 september 1917
Zondagrust.

PDF... http://www.geraaktdoordeoorlog.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/JacobusWinters.pdf

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Kornilov affair: 9 September (22–27 August) 1917

The Kornilov affair: A failed coup by General Kornilov, commander of the Russian army, takes place, when he orders troops towards Petrograd to counter the threat of the Bolsheviks.

Prime Minister Kerensky presents Kornilov’s actions as an attempted right wing coup.

While the affair is short lived, it secures power for the Bolsheviks among Petrograd’s working classes, workers and soldiers, and crushes the credibility of a coalition Provisional Government between socialists and liberals due to the Kadets (Constitutional Democrats) and even Kerensky himself being implicated in the affair.

https://www.bl.uk/russian-revolution/articles/timeline-of-the-russian-revolution

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 11:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The Diary of Arthur L. Linfoot - 58th Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C.

9 September 1917; Sunday
Up at 6.30. Marched off at 7.30. Arrived at the job about 9 o’clock. Our work is to dig out a dugout which is behind the old German second line and mine craters. Worked until after 4 o’clock. Very hot work. Fritz shelled there a good bit on the sides. Walked over to the Ridge Wood Y M but were too late for the service.

https://www.arthurlinfoot.org.uk/2017/09/09/9-september-1917-sunday/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:00    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The New York Times, September 9, 1917

Effe krantje lezen... https://www.loc.gov/item/sn78004456/1917-09-09/ed-1/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Battle of Ginchy, 9 September 1916

The battle of Ginchy was part of the first battle of the Somme (1 July-18 November 1916). It was launched in advance of the main September offensive (battle of Flers-Courcelette), to push the British front line nearer to the main German defences, which ran to the north of the village.

The village was to be attacked by the 16th Division of XIV Corps, commanded by Major-General Hickie. Ginchy itself was to be attacked by the four battalions of the 48th Brigade (Brigadier-General Ramsey), supported by two battalions from the 49th. It was part of a wider attack that also included the 49th Brigade, to the right and elements from V Corps to the left, but the attack on Ginchy was the only one to make progress.

Zero hour for the attack was set at 4.45pm on 9 September. At the last minute orders were dispatched delaying the attack for two minutes to allow for a final intense bombardment of the German lines, but only the 47th Brigade received the order in time. The 48th Brigade launched its attack on time, and was hit by German counter battery fire.

37th Brigade attacked at 4.47 pm. Its attack was immediately halted by German machine gun fire from their front line trenches, left intact by the British bombardment, which had struck the second line instead.

Ginchy was part of the line held by the I./19th Bavarian infantry. The attack of the 48th Brigade rolled up one company in the middle of the Bavarian line, and allowed the brigade to occupy Ginchy within an hour of zero-hour. On either side of the village the German lines held, and the British salient in Ginchy was subjected to an unsuccessful counterattack by II./19th Bavarians.

The 48th Brigade captured 200 prisoners during the advance into Ginchy, but suffered heavily casualties during the fight, amongst them two of the six battalion commanders, Lieutenant-Colonel H. P. Dalzell-Walton of 8/ Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and Captain W. J. Murphy of 9/ Royal Dublin Fusiliers. A series of further battles would soon push the front line away from the village. Despite the popular image of the battle of the Somme as a total failure, the battle of Flers-Courcelette was actually a minor success, although an expensive one.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_ginchy.html
Ook hier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ginchy
Ook hier: https://www.army.mod.uk/firstworldwarresources/somme-1916/the-battle-of-ginchy-9-september-1916
Ook hier: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/the-battles-of-the-somme-1916/
Ook hier: http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/9-batt/campaigns/1916-ginchy.html
Ook hier: https://www.rte.ie/centuryireland/index.php/articles/irish-regiments-lauded-for-victory-at-guillemont-and-ginchy

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 09 Sep 2019 12:11, in toaal 3 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Camiel De Zaeytijd

Camiel De Zaeytijd is op 12 december 1893 geboren in het Oost-Vlaamse dorp Melden, nu een deelgemeente van de stad Oudenaarde. De ongehuwde zoon van Gommaar en Emma Schoorens treedt in 1913 als milicien in dienst van het Belgisch leger.

Op 9 september 1916 wordt hij door een geweerkogel gedood in Sint-Jacobskapelle.

Het slachtoffer wordt begraven op de Belgische militaire begraafplaats van Hoogstade, grafnummer 585.

http://www.oorlogserfgoedalveringem.be/nl/9-september-1916

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

In oorlogstijd. Het volledige dagboek van de Eerste Wereldoorlog –Stijn Streuvels

9 september 1916 - De grote en gewichtigste kwestie voor de buitenbevolking die op een dorp wonen zo zeer verachterd dat er elektrische- of gasverlichting mankeert, is het licht! De dagen krimpen schandalig zeer in en in 't vooruitzicht is het niet te vermoeden dat de oorlog voor de winter zal eindigen; (Roemenië is er nu nog bijgekomen om de zaken wat meer te verwarren!) en carbur, petrool, kaarsen, olie en andere stoffen waarmede we licht plachten te maken zijn altijd even onvindbaar. Men hoort wel van allerhande nieuwe produkten, zoals: benzolite, benzoline, luxoline e.a. die ons uit de nood van de duisternissen moeten helpen, maar van nader beschouwd blijken het telkens weer lapmiddels die meer op aftroggelarij gelijken en als bijgaande voorwaarde hebben: het aankopen van een nieuw stelsel van lampen zonder garantie van brandstof... De kleine mensen die zich altijd met weinig weten te verhelpen en zich schikken in de nood, hebben al een uitkomst gevonden, ze nemen eenvoudig een blikpotje, vullen het met afgesmolten vet of smout, steken er een wiekje in en klaar is kees!

https://www.dbnl.org/tekst/stre009inoo02_01/stre009inoo02_01_0025.php

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:10    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Houtrust, 7-9 September 1916

Groepsportret... https://www.nmm.nl/zoeken-in-de-collectie/detail/473185/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:18    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

War Poets - 9 September

1. 9 September 1916 - Edward Thomas writes to Robert Frost ‘Now I have been 2 weeks in the Artillery learning about guns and wearing spurs &c. […] We are treated rather better and have fewer demands on one another, than in camp. The result is I am rather impatient to go out and be shot at.’

2. 9 Septmber 1918 - In Amiens, Wilfred Owen writes to his mother ‘I have a good room in a large house, with a young officer,—quite bearable,—bound also for the 2nd. Man. There are no window panes, but the valuable hand-lace-curtains remain. I sleep on a table, for which a kind Kiltie has just found me a mattress. It’s huge fun looting for furniture, & I sleep on my table in a serenity far different from, let us say, at Hastings’

3. 9 September 1917 - Ivor Gurney writes in a letter, the day before he was gassed: ‘beautiful morning, which we must spend in a concrete affair, once a peaceful farm’.

4. 9 September 1916 - Tom Kettle is killed in the attempt to take the ruinous village of Ginchy.

5. 9 September 1916 - Edward Tennant writes to his mother ‘I hope that when you get this we shall have had our little show; and I shall still be all right. There is nothing to say except that I am in capital spirits, and thinking of you very much.’

6. 9 September 1915 - Robert Graves is in London and writes ‘Despite the number of uniforms in the streets, the general indifference to, and ignorance about, the War surprised me… The universal catch-word was ‘Business as usual’’

7. 9 September 1915 - Vera Brittain writres ‘Oh! if I can only get him back to hold & kiss & worship once more, how tenderly, how strongly, how reverently, I shall love him!’

8. 9 September 1914 - Thomas Hardy’s poem ‘Men Who March Away’ is published in The Times
(Song of the Soldiers)
What of the faith and fire within us
Men who march away
Ere the barn-cocks say
Night is growing gray,
To hazards whence no tears can win us;
What of the faith and fire within us
Men who march away?

Is it a purblind prank, O think you,
Friend with the musing eye,
Who watch us stepping by
With doubt and dolorous sigh?
Can much pondering so hoodwink you!
Is it a purblind prank, O think you,
Friend with the musing eye?

Nay. We well see what we are doing,
Though some may not see—
Dalliers as they be—
England's need are we;
Her distress would leave us rueing:
Nay. We well see what we are doing,
Though some may not see!

In our heart of hearts believing
Victory crowns the just,
And that braggarts must
Surely bite the dust,
Press we to the field ungrieving,
In our heart of hearts believing
Victory crowns the just.

Hence the faith and fire within us
Men who march away
Ere the barn-cocks say
Night is growing gray,
Leaving all that here can win us;
Hence the faith and fire within us
Men who march away.

Er gebeuren ook hele mooie dingen op Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=649942501735640&story_fbid=2522772691119269
* via https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57195/men-who-march-away?fbclid=IwAR3KP5jRlwggLuCR_NZTUXAalwVrJs9IFA2LX_R7H-kfIL2dE_7biUSBV1I

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:21    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Second Lieutenant Cyril Arthur Sparling Hose.

Unit: 1st/5th Battalion, the King's (Liverpool Regiment).
Death: 9 September 1916, killed in action, Somme, Western Front.

Foto... https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205301579
Ook hier: https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/624874517020266213/?lp=true

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:24    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter from John Quinn to George Gavan Duffy, 9 September 1916 (University College Dublin Archives)
by Edward Kearns

On 9 September 1916, John Quinn sent a letter across the Atlantic to his fellow lawyer George Gavan Duffy. A copy of this letter has found its way into the Letters of 1916 collection, and it serves as a fascinating portal to its time, and in particular to the context of Roger Casement’s execution.

Casement was hanged for treason on 3 August 1916. George Gavan Duffy had represented Casement at his trial, and Quinn commends Duffy for this in the letter, saying that it was “a fine and courageous thing.” In the space of two short pages, Quinn’s letter also references an article he had written for the New York Times about Casement ‘a few Sundays ago’, as well as several notable historical figures, and the infamous ‘Black Diaries’.

A search of the Times’ online archive leads to a lengthy tribute to Casement, written by Quinn, and published on Sunday, 13 August 1916. The article describes Casement as a martyr, and must surely have stirred the sympathies of its American readership. It is also reveals that Quinn knew Casement personally. Who was this American lawyer, and how had he come into contact with Casement?

John Quinn (1870-1924) was no ordinary lawyer. Based in New York, but with Irish roots, Quinn was highly successful from an early stage in his career. This gave him the freedom to pursue what seems to have been his true interest: contemporary literature and art, particularly work with origins on the other side of the Atlantic. He commissioned paintings by John Butler Yeats and Jack Yeats, and he supported literary figures such as J.M. Synge, W.B. Yeats, Lady Gregory and James Joyce (he defended Ulysses in court against obscenity charges in the U.S.). He corresponded with Joseph Conrad and Ezra Pound, and amassed an art collection featuring Seurat, Picasso, and Matisse amongst many others.

Casement had stayed in Quinn’s home in New York for ‘some weeks’ while fundraising for the Irish Volunteers in 1914. In the Times article Quinn states that Casement ‘had great personal charm and was a man of invariable kindness. Pretense of any kind was impossible to him’. When Casement was on trial two years later, Quinn did what he could to seek clemency for Casement, ultimately to no avail. A letter from Duffy to Quinn on 3 August acknowledges Quinn’s efforts. Perhaps realising the inevitable, Quinn had telegraphed Duffy to send his love to Casement; Duffy writes ‘unfortunately your cable arrived too late’.

In the September letter Quinn says that he ‘spoke frankly’ in his elegy for Casement, and in particular draws attention to the final paragraph of the article, in which he rails against Casement’s contacts in Germany, calling them ‘Judases’ for betraying Casement. He writes of this statement being challenged by Kuno Meyer, a controversial supporter of Germany who had been travelling the U.S. at the time of the First World War, but he stands by his argument. Indeed he goes on to wish defeat for Germany in the War, asking how ‘can any man with a drop of Irish blood in his veins ever again hope for the victory of these betrayers?’

Quinn also mentions John Randolph ‘Shane’ Leslie, a writer and lecturer who supported Home Rule and raised funds for the Gaelic League. Leslie also happened to be the cousin of a certain Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.

The ending of Quinn’s letter takes aim at those responsible for ‘circulating reports on Casement’s degeneracy’; this refers to the aforementioned ‘Black Diaries’ allegedly written by Casement. Copies of the documents surfaced with suspicious convenience right at the time of Casement’s trial. Interestingly, Quinn admits that ‘the handwriting looked like [Casement’s]’. Eighty-six years later the Guardian would report that a forensic examination had indicated that ‘the handwriting, ink, paper, pen strokes and pencillings were all genuine’. Quinn concludes that ‘even if the statements were true his private life had nothing to do with his public acts’, and deems the release of the diaries when Casement was at his most vulnerable as a ‘dirty piece of business’, comparable to the case of the Piggott forgeries; faked letters from Charles Stewart Parnell that claimed he had supported the Phoenix Park murders of 1882. After Casement’s trial George Gavan Duffy would go on to campaign on Ireland’s behalf across Europe, and was one of the signatories of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, albeit reluctantly. His correspondent John Quinn would continue to patronise the modern culture of his ancestral home.

That is quite a story from one letter; it is funny how a century-old document can prove to be the launchpad for discovering so much historical context. And that context feeds back, enriching our understanding of the letter itself. Quinn knew everybody there was to know in that time and place. He was the perfect person to write an American elegy for Casement; the perfect bridge between the Old Bailey and New York City.

Lees de brief op http://letters1916.maynoothuniversity.ie/learn/letter-john-quinn-george-gavan-duffy-9-september-1916

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:27    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

This Day, September 9, In Jewish History

1916: Today, during the Battle of the Somme, Jack Melnick “a rifleman in the 12th London Regiment” and the father of Eva Melnick was listed as wounded and missing.

http://thisdayinjewishhistory.blogspot.com/2019/09/this-day-september-9-in-jewish-history.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:29    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Een Duitse zeppelin bombardeert Londen

In 1914 breekt een grote oorlog uit. In deze oorlog staan de 'centralen' tegenover de 'geallieerden'. De centralen zijn Duitsland, Oostenrijk en Turkije. De geallieerden zijn Frankrijk, Groot-Brittannië, Rusland en vanaf 1917 ook de Verenigde Staten van Amerika. Later wordt deze oorlog de Eerste Wereldoorlog genoemd. De oorlog wordt vooral uitgevochten in kilometerslange loopgraven.

Voor het eerst in de geschiedenis vechten de soldaten van deze landen ook in de lucht met elkaar. Vliegtuigen worden in die tijd meestal alleen gebruikt om gebieden te verkennen. Sommige vliegtuigen gooien ook bommen op steden van de vijand. Maar vliegtuigen kunnen nog niet veel bommen vervoeren. Zeppelins kunnen dat wel. Een zeppelin is een 'luchtschip' in de vorm van een sigaar, die in de lucht blijft door waterstof. Daarom gebruikt het Duitse leger vanaf 1915 veel zeppelins om Engeland, en vooral de Engelse hoofdstad Londen, te bombarderen. Honderden keren gooien Duitse zeppelins tienduizenden kilo's bommen op Engeland en andere gebieden.

Ook op 9 september 1915 bombardeert een Duitse zeppelin Londen. In totaal sterven ongeveer 700 mensen in Londen door de aanvallen van Duitse zeppelins. Zeppelins zijn wel erg kwetsbaar, omdat ze zo groot zijn en met waterstof gevuld zijn. Waterstof kan heel snel in de brand vliegen. Het Britse leger schiet op de Duitse zeppelins, zodat ze in brand vliegen. Toch blijft de bevolking erg bang voor de bombardementen vanuit de lucht.

https://www.entoen.nu/nl/kalender/09/1915-09-09
Ook hier: http://www.iancastlezeppelin.co.uk/89-sept-1915-1/4587528943

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 09 Sep 2019 12:35, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:32    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Belgische militair overleden te Boekel, 1915
Kees van Ginneke en Bart van de Ven

Dat Nederland tijdens de Eerste Wereldoorlog neutraal was, is algemeen bekend. Ook is nog wel bekend dat in de gemeente Boekel een honderdtal Belgische vluchtelingen was opgenomen. Maar dat er in in die tijd in Boekel een Belgische militair is overleden, is nu pas uitgezocht.

In de Udensche Courant van 15 september 1915 staat het volgende bericht: “Alhier overleed na een zeer smartelijk, maar geduldig lijden, een geïnterneerde Belgische soldaat, die ruim 8 dagen liefdevol werd verpleegd in het gasthuis der Eerw. Zusters alhier. Het is de 24-jarige Louis Croymans, zoon van een geachte familie uit Achel. In het eerste tijdperk van de oorlog, die strenge koude winterdagen, is hij gewond en werd na 5 dagen in een bosch gevonden. Krankzinnig geworden van pijn en ontbering is de arme sukkel door het Nederlandsche Rode Kruis opgenomen en na een tijd alhier in 't krankzinnigen-gesticht Huize Padua te zijn verpleegd, vervoerd naar het gasthuis alhier, waar hij zacht en kalm overleed. Bij volle kennis zijnde gekomen, koesterde de arme verdediger nog steeds de hoop eenmaal nog zijn vader te mogen zien, wat echter niet heeft mogen zijn. Zijn moeder was reeds 18 jaren dood. O die oorlog!!!!”

Nieuwsgierig geworden na dit krantenbericht, hebben we vervolgens wat onderzoek gedaan naar deze militair. Het bleek te gaan om Louis Lambert Eugene Croymans, geboren te Achel (België) op 20 februari 1891. Hij was de zoon van de gemeentesecretaris van Achel, beeldhouwer bij Sint Lucas te Luik en aldaar medewerker van ene Thomas Watson. Hij was sinds 1911 milicien (soldaat 2e klasse) en scherpschutter bij het 11e Linie Regiment van het Belgische leger.

Op 28 juli 1914 trok hij naar het front en raakte betrokken bij de slag om Luik. Na het neerschieten van een Duitse cavaleriesoldaat zou hij last hebben gekregen van gewetenswroeging en is hij vermoedelijk gaan zwerven. Nu zouden we dat PTSS (Post Traumatisch Stress Syndroom) noemen. Het is ook na onderzoek niet duidelijk geworden waar Croymans is gevonden vóór de opname in Huize Padua op 26 februari 1915. Hij is daar ontslagen op 30 augustus 1915 en van daaruit naar het gasthuis van de zusters in Boekel overgebracht, alwaar hij op 7 september 1915 is overleden.

Aangifte van overlijden bij de gemeente Boekel werd op 9 september 1915 gedaan door: J. Wouters en J. Kusters, beide bewoners van het gasthuis.

Het leek erop dat Croymans begraven zou zijn op het Belgisch Ereveld op de begraafplaats Oostergaarde in Harderwijk. Op dit “Belgische Militair Ereveld 1914-1918” zijn de graven van 225 Belgische militairen uit de Eerste Wereldoorlog. Zij waren in oktober 1914 - na de val van Antwerpen - met nog 33.000 wapenbroeders uitgeweken naar Nederland om aan Duitse krijgsgevangenschap te ontkomen.

In ons land werden zij volgens de regels van de internationale conventie van Den Haag ontwapend en geïnterneerd. Ruim 25.000 van hen werden ondergebracht in tentenkampen en kazernes in o.a. Amersfoort en Harderwijk; de anderen in Loosduinen bij Den Haag, in Gaasterland, Leeuwarden, Assen, Kampen, Zwolle en Zeist. Enkele honderden Belgische militairen stierven tijdens hun Hollandse interneringsjaren, onder andere als gevolg van een Spaanse griepepidemie in de zomer van 1918.

Het WOI-monument in AchelIn 1960 werd in gemeenschappelijk overleg tussen de Belgische regering, de Oorlogsgravenstichting en de gemeente Harderwijk besloten hen gezamenlijk op een ereveld bijeen te brengen. De keuze viel op Harderwijk, omdat op deze begraafplaats al Belgische slachtoffers een laatste rustplaats hadden gevonden. Ter nagedachtenis van 124 doden die niet herbegraven konden worden, is een herdenkingsmonument opgericht met daarop hun namen.

Omdat hierbij ook de naam van Louis Croymans staat, mag aangenomen worden dat hij niet herbegraven kon worden in Harderwijk. Waar hij na zijn overlijden dan wél is begraven, is niet duidelijk geworden, maar naar alle waarschijnlijkheid in de gemeente Boekel. Croymans is ook genoemd in het begrafenisboek van de parochie Boekel.

Begin mei 2014 is een bezoek gebracht aan het Grevenbroekmuseum in Achel alwaar enige informatie over Louis Croymans aanwezig was, alsmede een foto van hem in uniform.

Verder bleek dat er in Achel een oorlogsmonument stond waarop een plaquette met daar op de naam van Louis Croymans.

https://www.bhic.nl/ontdekken/verhalen/belgische-militair-overleden-te-boekel-1915

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:34    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

"Holland"

00-00-1915 Eigendom N.V. Bureau Wijsmuller Scheepvaart-, Transport- & Zeesleepvaartmaatschappij 's-Gravenhage.

9 september 1915 werd door een Marine-defensie sloep een waarschuwingsschot gelost op de "Holland". Volgens dit bericht zou de "Holland" een poging hebben ondernomen om zonder vrijgeleide vanuit Hoek van Holland zee te kiezen.

De "Holland" vertrok 15 september 1915 onder kapitein E. de Boer naar de Russische havenstad Archangel om aldaar sleepwerk te verrichten op de rivier Dwina, voor N.V. Houthandel v/h Altius & Co.

Vermoedelijk was de "Holland" verkocht aan N.V. Houthandel v/h Altius & Co. te Amsterdam en betrof het een uitbrengreis en zou de "Holland" na aankomst worden overgedragen aan de nieuwe eigenaar.

De "Holland" arriveerde, onderweg naar Archangel - Rusland, op 19 september 1915 in de haven van Tromso - Noorwegen, voor bunkers.

Op 7 oktober 1915 verloor de "Holland", die voor anker lag, als gevolg van de hoge deining haar bakboords anker.

In de loop van de dag nam de wind in kracht toe en draaide van Noordwest naar Zuidwest, in verband met de de aanwakkerende wind besloot kapitein de Boer om weer voor anker te gaan. In 8 vaam water werd het stuurboords anker gevierd.

Tegen zeven uur verscheen er een schoener voor de boeg van de "Holland". De "Holland" kon nog uitwijken door hard stuurboordroer te geven.

Doordat de ankerkettingen vermoedelijk in elkaar waren geraakt bleven de "Holland" en de schoener bij elkaar liggen.

Pogingen om het anker te kappen lukten niet, als gevolg van het steeds slechter wordende weer stootte de "Holland" enkele keren tegen de schoener aan. Waarna het lukte om het anker te kappen.

Onder het geven van noodsignalen dreef de schoener weg, de "Holland" echter bleek aan de grond te zitten. Na scheepsraad werd besloten om het schip te verlaten.

De volgende morgen keerde men weer naar het schip terug, waar veel vernield bleek. In Archangel werd een sleepboot besteld, maar deze kwam niet, door het slechte weer.

Op 13 oktober lukte het met behulp van enige sleepboten, die inmiddels aangekomen waren, de "Holland" vlot te brengen en naar Archangel te brengen. Daar werd de "Holland" gedokt.

De koelkast was ingedrukt en de roersteven verloren, van de inventaris was niets meer over.

Op 3 november 1915 stond het volgende bericht in het Nieuws van de Dag:

Het Noorse Stoomschip "Foldin" heeft gisternacht (2 november 1915) in IJmuiden 7 opvarenden, de stuurman enige matrozen en stokers en een particulier, van de sleepboot "Holland" aan wal gezet. De "Holland" die, op reis van Rotterdam naar Archangel waar zij zou gaan werken, onder Archangel voor anker liggende, werd aangevaren door een vermoedelijk Russisch driemast zeilschip, die de "Holland" van haar ankers rukte. Beide schepen stranden op de klippen. Doordat van de "Holland" de scheepsboot verloren ging, hebben de opvarenden slechts met grote moeite en inspanning zwemmende de wal kunnen bereiken. Het driemast schip is naar alle waarschijnlijkheid met man en muis verloren gegaan, althans is niemand van de bemanning terug gezien.

De kapitein van de "Holland", E. de Boer, is nog te Archangel achter gebleven.
De opvarenden van de "Holland" zijn 11 dagen onderweg geweest van Archangel naar IJmuiden.

In 1916 is de "Holland" in Russische handen overgegaan en kwam onder de naam "Gollandija" in de vaart.

Tot in 1939 is de "Gollandija" geregistreerd terug te vinden.

http://www.bureauwijsmuller.nl/?H-K___Holland_1915___Geschiedenis

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:37    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Richmond WW1 Diary - 9 September 1915

The New Royalty Kinema opened in 1914 and stood on Water Lane (on the site of the current Curzon cinema). Like most local businesses, the cinema publically supported the war, including hosting charity concerts to raise funds.

On 9 September 1915, it ran an advert in the Richmond Herald, stating “No German or Austrian pictures will be shown at this Theatre.”

https://richmondww1.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/richmond-wwi-diary-9-september-1915/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:39    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Letter from Marcel Proust to Antoine Bibesco, [c. 9 September 1915]

Dear Antoine,

I will tell you, as people say stupidly: “It was a pleasure to see your handwriting.” Even though yours (though not quite as much as mine) is awful. But I was delighted to see it. That is one of the mysteries of friendship.

My only usefulness (as I have two fairly common qualities, that yet rarely come together, foresight and self-abnegation) is as a mediator and a doctor. I am worth nothing as a strategist. Besides, your question is formulated strangely. You ask me: “Until when will the Russians move backwards?” This means, I suppose: “Until when will the Germans move forward?” Both are the same thing, but your questioning style is unexpected. I would rather have you tell me whether or not the Romanians will march.

I do not dare venture to predict the future (except to say that the final victory is a sure thing, as everyone believes), but I wish to justify myself for the past. When you told me that the Curonian expedition was an eccentric fantasy of the Germans, I responded that, when it comes to a people who prepared precisely what they did not predict (ammunition for a war they thought would not last for long and yet were the only ones to be equipped for; moving back to Lens to conquer and use it to their advantage, when they were not planning to move back; the storming of the Dardanelles in order to block Russia, that they considered defeated, etc.), one must not believe that it is all about fancy, and that the Curonian expedition was, in the long run, either a vise against the Russian army or, failing that, against Warsaw, or the twin of the Dardanelles (now Bidou), who fifteen days ago said that what happened in Riga was a demonstration, has written since then an admirable article showing this symmetry with the Dardanelles, the obstruction of Russia, inspired by the American Civil War). If Emmanuel is with you, tell him I extend all my affection.

Yours truly

Marcel

My kindest regards to Henri Bardac, whom I love dearly.

P.S.: I am just now receiving your second letter. You know very well that I would have been so glad to become acquainted with Mr. Morand [9] when you asked me to, but keep in mind, he was only available, as he was about to leave for London, at a moment when I was afraid I was not feeling well. You would do me a favor if you could possibly send me his letter, as I was so happy to get to know him.

https://www.library.illinois.edu/rbx/letter-from-marcel-proust-to-antoine-bibesco-c-9-september-1915/

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:40    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Meine Ferienreise nach Belgien vom 5. August 1915 bis 9. September 1915

Het is een reisverslag van een jonge Duitse student, Hans Gerstein, neef van de Präsident der Zivilverwaltung der Provinz Brabant (burger gouverneur van Brabant), Karl Gerstein. Hij vertelt er zijn treinreis van Saarbruck naar Brussel, zijn verblijf in Brussel, zijn relaties met het Duitse bestuur en zijn oom, zijn uitstappen naar Waterloo, Antwerpen, Brugge, Oostende en museumbezoeken. Zijn verhaal is bijzonder interessant voor de geschiedenis van Brussel tijdens de bezetting, want hij beschrijft er de het dagelijkse leven van de Brusselaars gedurende de enkele weken die hij in de stad doorbracht.

Het origineel bevindt zich nog steeds in de familie Gerstein in Duitsland. De zoon van Hans, Hermann Gerstein, heeft een transcriptie van het dagboek laten maken, om de leesbaarheid van de originele Duitse tekst in Gothisch geschrift geschrenven te vergemakkelijken.

http://www.14-18.bruxelles.be/index.php/nl/dagelijks-leven/bezetting/bezetting-teksten/book/119/1?page=15

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 12:42    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

'Report from General Sir J E Nixon, K C B, Commanding I E F 'D', on the action at Bushire, 9th September 1915'

https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100000000239.0x0001a7

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 14:53    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

DE OORLOG, 9 september 1914 [ALGEMEEN HANDELSBLAD, No. 27811]

http://www.theelen.info/Eerste%20Wereldoorlog/%5B19140909%5D%20De%20Oorlog.pdf
Ook hier: http://docplayer.nl/12554838-De-oorlog-9-september-1914-algemeen-handelsblad-no-27811-woensdag-9-september-1914.html

Uit: Naspeuringen van Paul Theelen: 2019; “Cloud” met geschiedkundige onderwerpen. Verzameling van krantenartikelen over het begin en einde van de Eerste Wereldoorlog. Kijk hier: http://www.theelen.info/Bestanden%20website/Wereldoorlogen/%5B20190531%5D%20Eerste%20Wereldoorlogbestanden.pdf

- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Laatst aangepast door Percy Toplis op 09 Sep 2019 15:10, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 14:56    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Von Moltke aan zijn vrouw, tijdens de slag aan de Marne:

Luxemburg, 7 Sept. 1914. ‘Vandaag valt een grote beslissing. Ons gehele leger, van Parijs tot in de Boven-Elzas, is in strijd gewikkeld. Wanneer ik vandaag mijn leven moest geven om daarmee de overwinning te bevechten, dan deed ik dat met oneindig veel vreugde, zoals ook duizenden van onze broeders het heden doen en duizenden het reeds gedaan hebben. Hoeveel stromen van bloed zijn al gevloeid, hoeveel onzegbaar leed is over de ontelbare onschuldigen gekomen wier huis en hof verbrandden, verwoest zijn. Dikwijls overvalt mij afgrijzen als ik daaraan denk en het is mij te moede, alsof ik dit ontzettende moest verantwoorden en toch kon ik niet anders handelen dan zoals gebeurd is.’

Luxemburg, 8 Sept. 1914. ‘Ik kan moeilijk zeggen met welke onnoemlijke kracht de last van de verantwoordelijkheid de laatste dagen op mij heeft gedrukt en nog drukt. Want nog steeds is de grote worsteling over het gehele front van ons leger niet beslist. Het gaat hierbij om het behoud of het verlies van wat tot nu toe met oneindig veel offers is bereikt. Het zou vreselijk zijn wanneer al dit bloed zou zijn vergoten zonder een beslissend succes. De verschrikkelijke spanning van deze dagen, het uitblijven van berichten van de ver verwijderde legers, het besef van wat op het spel staat, gaat haast boven menselijke kracht. De moeilijkheid van onze positie staat dikwijls als een zwarte muur die ondoordringbaar schijnt, voor mij. Vanavond zijn iets gunstiger berichten van het front binnengekomen. God geve, dat wij met onze weggeslonken troepen een succes hebben. De garderegimenten zijn weer in hete strijd gewikkeld geweest, ze zijn bijna tot op de helft van hun sterkte verminderd. Het is een zware tijd en deze oorlog heeft reeds oneindig veel offers gekost en zal ze nog verder kosten. De hele wereld spant tegen ons samen en het lijkt alsof alle overige volkeren tot taak hadden Duitsland voorgoed te vernietigen. De weinige neutrale staten zijn ons niet vriendelijk gezind; Duitsland heeft geen enkele vriend, het is geheel op zichzelf aangewezen. Van de beslissing van vandaag hangt het af, of we hier nog blijven. In ieder geval niet lang meer. De keizer moet Frankrijk in, dichter naar het leger toe; hij moet evenals zijn troepen, in vijandelijk land zijn.’

Luxemburg, 9 Sept. 1914. ‘Het gaat slecht. De gevechten oostelijk van Parijs zullen in ons nadeel uitvallen. Enkele van onze legers moeten zich terugtrekken, de anderen zullen moeten volgen. De zo hoopvol ingezette oorlog zal in het tegengestelde omslaan. Ik moet dat wat gebeurt dragen en zal met mijn land stand houden of vallen. Wij moeten ten gronde gaan in de strijd tegen Oost en West. Hoe anders was het, toen we voor slechts weinig weken de veldtocht zo luisterrijk begonnen; achteraf komt nu de bittere teleurstelling. En hoe zullen we moeten betalen voor alles wat verwoest is? De veldtocht is niet verloren, evenmin als hij tot nu toe voor de Fransen verloren was, maar het Franse élan, dat op het punt stond uit te doven, zal machtig opvlammen en ik vrees dat ons volk in zijn overwinningsroes het ongeluk nauwelijks zal kunnen dragen. Hoe mij dit ter harte gaat, kan niemand beter begrijpen dan jij, die geheel in mijn ziel leeft.’

Uit: Revolutie der eenzamen, Pieter Jan Bouman, 1953, via https://www.dbnl.org/tekst/boum008revo01_01/boum008revo01_01_0045.php

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 14:58    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Belgen in Bruinisse in 1915
Huib Uil

(...) Op initiatief van burgemeester Hage was een breed samengesteld steuncomité in het leven geroepen, zoals elders ook gebeurde. Onder de Belgen waren twee overlijdensgevallen. Op 9 september 1914 overleed Frans Eduard Haesendonck, afkomstig uit Mechelen en daar geboren, meubelmaker van beroep en 58 jaar oud. Dokter De Kock noteerde dat hij was overleden aan haemoptoë (opgeven van bloed). Op 12 november 1914 overleed Franciscus Albertus Alphonsis Jeuninckx, 27 jaar, van beroep handelsagent, afkomstig uit Antwerpen en daar geboren als zoon van een muziekdirecteur. Hij overleed aan tuberculose. (...)

https://www.zeeuwseankers.nl/verhaal/belgen-in-bruinisse-in-1915

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 14:59    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Maubeuge tijdens de Duitse bezetting

(...) Vanaf 9 september 1914 installeert een bestuurslichaam van de bezetters zich in de stad. Op 11 november wordt een gouverneurschap gecreëerd dat de kantons Maubeuge-Zuid en -Noord, Bavay en Solre-le- Château omvat. Er komt een streng bewaakte grens even ten zuiden van Maubeuge die het verkeer zwaar beperkt tot rechtstreeks met het front verbonden tussengebieden, ter ondersteuning van de op het front gemobiliseerde eenheden. (...)

http://www.wegenvanherdenking-noordfrankrijk.com/no_cache/wandelen-fietsen/single/road/maubeuge-a-lheure-allemande.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 15:02    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

UK Parliament - Sitting of 9 September 1914

BELGIAN REFUGEES IN UNIDED KINGDOM. STATE HOSPITALITY.

Mr. BARNES asked the Prime Minister if the Government has yet any information as to the number of Belgian refugees in this country, and if the Government has yet considered the question of making a Grant from which to relieve them?

The PRESIDENT of the LOCAL GOVERNMENT BOARD (Mr. Herbert Samuel) I have been requested to reply to this question. As many of those who have come to this country from the seat of war have means of their own and travel as ordinary passengers, it is not possible to state the number of refugees. The War Refugees Committee and the Local Government Board have been in touch with some 3,600 persons coming from Belgium, for all of whom temporary accommodation, and for some more permanent hospitality, has been found. In addition, a very large number have been met at the railway stations. There are, however, some thousands of persons in Belgium, from the towns of Louvain, Malines, Liege, and elsewhere, whose homes have been destroyed and for whom the Belgian Government, on account of military exigencies, are unable to provide.
In answer to inquiries from the Belgian Government, His Majesty's Government have offered to these victims of the War the hospitality of the British nation. Arrangements have been made for their transport and for their temporary accommodation at hostels in London. The War Refugees Committee, who have rendered very valuable service hitherto, have consented to co-operate with my Department in their reception and distribution. A large number of offers of private hospitality have already been received by them. I am now communicating with some of the Local Representative Committees for the Prevention and Relief of Distress, situated in places where distress has not yet appeared and seems improbable, asking each to arrange for temporary hospitality for a small number of these refugees. The Government trust that many individuals throughout the country will be ready to join in offering an asylum here until conditions in Belgium enable the refugees to return.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1914/sep/09/state-hospitality

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 15:05    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

The September Memorandum (September 9, 1914)

Chancellor Theobald von Bethmann Hollweg (1856-1921) managed the precarious domestic consensus on the war through the art of evasion. He parried entreaties from proponents of conflicting positions and vaguely sought to assure those in favor of a moderate peace and constitutional reform of his support. He sympathized in private with the idea of large-scale annexations, but public statements to this effect were impossible. This memorandum, which advocated breathtaking annexations, originated in the Chancellor's own office in the summer of 1914. Historians have used it as evidence that Bethmann Hollweg planned the war to achieve German hegemony in Europe.

Berlin, September 9, 1914

1. France. The military authorities are to judge whether the annexation of Belfort, the western slopes of the Vosges, the demolition of the fortresses, and the annexation of the coastline from Dunkirk to Boulogne is to be demanded.

In all events, because it is necessary for our industry’s iron-ore production, the basin of Briey is to be annexed.

Furthermore, a war indemnity, to be paid in installments. It is to be so high that France will be unable in the next 18 to 20 years to expend major sums on armaments.

In addition: a commercial treaty that makes France economically dependent on Germany, transforms it into our export market, and enables it to exclude English commerce from France. This commercial treaty must secure financial and industrial freedom of movement for us in France – so German firms can no longer be treated differently from French firms.

2. Belgium. Incorporation of Liege and Verviers into Prussia, a border strip of the Belgian province of Luxembourg to the Kingdom Luxembourg.

It remains questionable whether Antwerp, along with an access route to Liege, is also to be annexed.

Whatever the case, Belgium must in all events – even should it continue to exist as a state – sink to the status of a vassal state; it must cede occupation rights in militarily significant ports; place its coasts at our disposal; become economically a German province. Given such a solution, which has the advantages of annexation without the domestic political disadvantages, Fr[ench] Flanders, along with Dunkirk, Calais, and Boulogne, with their largely Flemish population, can be handed over, as is, to Belgium without any danger. The competent agencies will have to evaluate the military value of this position vis-à-vis England.

3. Luxembourg. Will become a German federal state and will receive a strip from the present Belgian province of Luxembourg and possibly the corner of Longwy.

4. A central European economic association is to be constructed through common customs agreements, to comprise France, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Austria-Hungary, Poland (!) and possibly Italy, Sweden, and Norway. This association will probably have no common constitutional head and will provide for ostensible equality among its members, although it will in fact be under German leadership; it must stabilize Germany’s economic predominance in central Europe.

5. The question of colonial acquisitions, above all the creation of a contiguous central African colonial empire, will be considered later; so will the question of German goals vis-à-vis Russia.

As the foundation for economic arrangements with France and Belgium, a short, provisional formula for a possible preliminary peace is to be found.

6. Holland. Means and measures should be considered by which Holland can be brought into closer association with the German Empire.

In view of the Dutch character, this closer association must be free of any sense of coercion; it must not alter the Dutch way of life, nor change Dutch military obligations. It will thus leave Holland ostensibly independent but in fact dependent upon us. Perhaps an alliance that extends to the colonies, in any case a close customs union, possibly the incorporation of Antwerp into Holland might be considered, in return for their granting Germany the right to keep troops in the fortress of Antwerp as well as at the mouth of the Schelde.

Source: Bethmann Hollweg Denkschrift [Memorandum by Bethmann Hollweg], September 9, 1914, Bundesarchiv-Lichterfelde, Reichskanzlei, Grosses Hauptquartier 21, No. 2476.
Reprinted in Wolfdieter Bihl, Deutsche Quellen zur Geschichte des Ersten Weltkrieges [German Sources on the History of the First World War]. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1991, pp. 61-62.

http://ghdi.ghi-dc.org/sub_document.cfm?document_id=980 & http://ghdi.ghi-dc.org/docpage.cfm?docpage_id=1811

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 15:08    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Lt. Col. John McCrae - Wimereux Communal Cemetery Wimereux Frankrijk.

Het levensverhaal van Luitenant-kolonel John Alexander McCrae, is waarschijnlijk één van de meest bekende verhalen uit de Groote Oorlog. McCrae was afkomstige uit Canada, hij zag het levenslicht op 30 november 1872, in Guelph, Ontario. John was 41 jaar toen de oorlog uitbrak. Hij had tot in 1904 dienst gedaan bij de Canadese artillerie en had de rang van majoor. Na zijn militaire carrière begon hij in het burgerleven aan een medische loopbaan en werd chirurg. Maar na het losbarsten van de oorlog keerde dokter McCrae, op 9 september 1914, terug in de actieve dienst. Hij werd als brigade-chirurg, met de rang van majoor, ingedeeld bij de 1st Brigade CFA (Canadian Field Artillery). Hij was naast brigadechirurg ook de tweede in bevel.

http://photography-to-remember-ww-one.com/article.php?id=580

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Percy Toplis

BerichtGeplaatst: 09 Sep 2019 15:09    Onderwerp: Reageer met quote

Battle of the Ourcq River, 5-9 September 1914

The battle of the Ourcq River, 5-9 September 1914 (First World War) was part of the wider First Battle of the Marne. The German 1st Army, under von Kluck, made up the right wing of the great German advance into France. By the start of September it was moving south, just to the east of Paris, as part of the German advance that threatened to envelope the French armies to the east. However, a gap was beginning to develop between the 1st and 2nd Armies. This gap would be the target of the great Allied counterattack on the Marne and the threat it posed to the German 2nd Army would play a major part in the German decision to retreat.

The extreme right flank of the German advance was protected by the German IV Reserve Corps under General von Gronau. The French command-in-chief, General Joffre, planned to concentrate against the 1st army. Part of that plan would involve an attack by the French 6th Army under General Maunoury, with support from General Gallieni, the military governor of Paris, against the exposed flank of von Kluck’s 1st army.

The battle of the Ourcq did not go entirely to plan. Von Gronau detected the French advance on 5 September, and launched a counterattack that delayed the French attack and allowed von Kluck to move his II Corps north west, from its position south of the Marne to one west of the Ourcq. Over the next three days the rest of the 1st Army would follow. The French were now attacked a major German formation and not the reserve corps they had expected to be facing. Maunoury’s Sixth Army found itself outnumbered and in danger of being enveloped. It was this battle that saw the famous incident in which reinforcements were rushed to the front from Paris in taxi cabs.

By the end of 8 September, von Kluck was ready to launch his own counterattack on his right flank. An initial attack by the IX Corps under General von Quast achieved some local success and even appeared to threaten Paris. However, the situation further along the German line was not so promising. As von Kluck had moved west onto the Ourcq, the gap between the 1st and 2nd armies was forty miles wide. Allied troops, amongst the BEF, were advancing into the gap.

The commander of the 2nd army, General von Bülow, felt that his position was dangerously exposed. On 8 September Moltke dispatched a staff officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Richard Hentsch, to investigate the real situation at the front. He had agreed with von Bülow’s views, and recommended a withdrawal back behind the Marne. On 9 September, von Bülow learnt that four enemy columns were marching through the gap toward the Marne and decided to order a retreat. Once the 2nd army was on the move, von Kluck had no choice but to follow. Over the next five days the Germans pulled back from the Marne to the Aisne.

The fighting on the Ourcq had failed to achieve its initial objective, to outflank the German 1st Army, but by drawing von Kluck north west when he should have been moving south it helped to create the fatal gap in the German line that helped create the miracle of the Marne.

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/battles_ourcq.html

- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Naar boven
Berichten van afgelopen:   
Plaats nieuw bericht   Plaats Reactie    Forum Eerste Wereldoorlog Forum Index -> Wat gebeurde er vandaag... Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: